Homologous recombination (HR) is frequently impaired in sporadic high-grade serous ovarian carcinoma (sHGSOC) due to deficiencies in BRCA1/2 genes, a situation associated with hypersensitivity to platinum compounds. Alterations in other genes can also cause HR deficiency. Preclinical data show that RAP80 is an HR–pathway-related gene that influences BRCA1 activity. RAP80 has been reported to affect outcome in some solid neoplasms. This study investigates the role of RAP80 in sHGSOC survival.
mRNA expression of RAP80 was analyzed in tumor samples from 35 patients who postoperatively received standard platinum-based chemotherapy. The effects of RAP80 expression on progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS) were examined by means of Cox regressions. The clinical variables known to have prognostic value (FIGO stage, residual disease at surgery, and debulking surgery) were included as covariates in the analysis. BRCA1 was analyzed given the moderate correlations with RAP80.
Median follow-up, PFS and OS were 61.3, 20.2 and 62.8 months, respectively. Low RAP80 expression levels were associated with shorter PFS (
This is the first study to show a potential prognostic role of RAP80 expression in patients with HGSOC. The results suggest that HR deficiency due to low RAP80 expression is not associated with hypersensitivity to platinum compounds in sHGSOC.
Int J Biol Markers 2017; 32(1): e90 - e95
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsMargarita Romeo, Niki Karachaliou, Imane Chaid, Cristina Queralt, Itziar De Aguirre, María del Carmen Gómez, María Sanchez-Ronco, Joaquim Radua, José Luís Ramírez, Rafael Rosell
- • Received on 09/03/2016
- • Accepted on 14/06/2016
- • Available online on 18/07/2016
- • Published online on 02/03/2017
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Romeo, Margarita [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2, * Corresponding Author (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Karachaliou, Niki [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 3
- Chaid, Imane [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 4
- Queralt, Cristina [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 4
- De Aguirre, Itziar [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 4
- del Carmen Gómez, María [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 5
- Sanchez-Ronco, María [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 6
- Radua, Joaquim [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 7
- Ramírez, José Luís [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 4
- Rosell, Rafael [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 8
Medical Oncology Department, Catalan Institute of Oncology, Badalona - Spain
Department of Medicine, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona - Spain
Translational Research Unit, Dr Rosell Oncology Institute, Quirón Dexeus University Hospital, Barcelona - Spain
Translational Research Laboratory, Institut d’Investigació Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona - Spain
Pathology Department, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona - Spain
Faculty of Medicine, Universidad Alcala de Henares, Madrid - Spain
FIDMAG Germanes Hospitalàries - CIBERSAM, Sant Boi de Llobregat - Spain
Cancer Biology and Precision Medicine Program, Catalan Institute of Oncology, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona - Spain